News, pictures, videos & more on the daily life of the Azero-Italian mission of the Ganja Region Kurgan Archaeological Project team and on the excavation progress
>> Learn more on the GaRKAP here
>> Instagram Profile
- Nicola Laneri (CAMNES) - scientific director
- Bakhtiyar Jalilov (ANAS) - scientific director
- Stefano Valentini (CAMNES) - CAMNES director, archaeologist
- Guido Guarducci (CAMNES) - CAMNES director, archaeologist
- Lorenzo Crescioli (CAMNES) - archaeologist, photo 3D reconstruction & documentation
- Zaur Hasanov (ANAS) - historian, archaeologist
- Yilmaz Erdal (University of Hacettepe) - physical anthropologist
- Modwene Poulmarc'h (Archéorient, CNRS) - archaeo-anthropologist
- Karen Abend - conservator
- Valentina D'amico (University of Hacettepe) - PhD student
- Chiara Pappalardo (University of Vienna) - PhD student
- Martina Costarelli (University of Florence) - PhD candidate
- Federico Scavo (Università di Catania) - MA Student
- Alice Mendola (University of Catania) - BA Student
- Andrea Ricci (Kiel University) - survey director
- Jutta Kneisel (Kiel University) - survey data manager and coordinator
- Lola Huseynova (ANAS) - archeologist
- Sergio Russo (BIAA) - archeologist, illustrator
- Vusal Gasanov (ANAS) - archaeologist, anthropologist
The GaRKAP has just started its second season!
This blog will continuously update on the activities of the GaRKAP that started its first season of archaeological work in western Azerbaijan June 6th 2018.
After the arrival in Baku of the international members of the project, they moved to the city of Ganja in western Azerbaijan. Excavations of a large kurgan, to be probably dated to Kura-Araxes period (ca. 3500-3000 BCE), initiated immediately in the Goranboy region in the Uzun Rama area where numerous kurgan dated to this period as well as to the Late Bronze Age/Early iron Age have been previously recognized and excavated by the co-director of the project Bakhtiyar Jalilov of the ANES.
In second time, the second leg of the project has started its archaeological works in the city of Ganja. This part of the project aims at excavating kurgans of the Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age period located within the Heidar Aliyev Park in Ganja city that, thanks to the support of the Governor of the City (Bayram Ov) and the head of the local branch of the Academy of Science (Fuat Aliyev) as well as the italian Ambassador (Augusto Massari) will hopefully become an archaeological park devoted to the history of the kurgans (funerary mounds) in Azerbaijan!